Sweet, fudgy brownies without grains? YES! Most flourless brownie recipes call for canned pumpkin, which I never have on hand. Sweet potatoes are a perfectly acceptable substitution, and are much healthier because they aren't processed and then packed into a can.
What you need:
1 1/2 cup of cooked, peeled, and mashed sweet potatoes
1 cup of raw, organic peanut butter (or any other nut butter you like)
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 large egg
1/4 cup real maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
How to make it:
1. Bake the sweet potatoes in the oven by piercing each one several times with a fork, and baking in a 350 degree oven for roughly 1 hour.
2. After the potatoes have been peeled, mashed and cooled, place them in a large bowl.
3. Mix all of the other ingredients in with the sweet potatoes, adding the egg in last.
4. These brownies are VERY fudge-like, so you need to line your 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper before baking.
5. Once the pan has been lined, pour in the batter.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
7. Let cool completely before cutting into squares.
This Southern Girl Can is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.