Nothing is better than a light, creamy, airy lemon souffle on a summer's day, except when it's baked right inside the lemon! These individual souffles are so much fun to make, and look beautiful when served beside a pitcher of lemonade. Large lemons are the key here, so be sure to use the biggest ones you can find.
What you need:
8 large lemons
3 eggs, separated, with yolks in one bowl and whites in another
½ cup sugar, divided
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
a little confectioners’ sugar for dusting
How to make it:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking dish with parchment paper.
2. Slice the stem ends off of the lemon, just enough so they can sit upright and not topple over.
3. Cut roughly 1/3 of the top of the lemon off.
4. Use a knife to cut out most of the pulp, then use a small spoon or melon baller to remove the rest of the flesh from the inside of the lemon. Keep the insides on the lemons in a small bowl. You'll need the juice later.
5. Stand the lemons upright in the baking dish.
6. In a heat-safe bowl (such as Pyrex), combine the egg yolks, 1/4 cup of sugar, 1/4 cup of the reserved lemon juice, and flour. Using a whisk, whisk together. Place the bowl over a pot of simmering water, and whisk until it is the consistency of pudding. This can take anywhere from 6 to 8 minutes.
7. Remove from the heat and beat with an electric mixer until cool, roughly 8 to 10 minutes. Set aside.
8. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the egg whites with 1/4 cup of sugar. Beat with an electric mixer on low until frothy. Increase the speed of the mixer, and beat the meringue until it is smooth, shiny, and holds soft peaks. This should take about 3 minutes.
9. Gently whisk 1/3 of the meringue into the cooled yolk mixture until combined, then gently stir in the rest of the meringue.
10. Using a small spoon, fill the lemon shells with the mixture until it is just below the rim.
11. Bake for 14 to 17 minutes, until the souffle has risen about 1 inch above the edges of the lemon shells and the top is golden.
12. Sprinkle with confectioner's sugar and serve immediately.
This Southern Girl Can is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.