It's getting hot outside, and there's nothing better on a summer's day than a big glass of icy lemonade. Well, lemonade and a cupcake would definitely be better. These cupcakes are lemony, tangy, and melt-in-your-mouth good.
What you need for the cupcakes:
3 cups self-rising flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
2 cups white sugar
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons fresh lemon zest
1 cup whole milk
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
What you need for the frosting:
2 cups heavy whipping cream (NOT whipped topping), chilled
3/4 to 1 cup confectioner's sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
slices of lemon for garnish
How to make the cupcakes:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a cupcake pan with silicone or paper liners. (This recipe will make roughly 30 cupcakes.)
2. Sift the flour and salt together in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, cream together the butter and sugar with a handheld mixer until fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the vanilla and lemon zest.
3. Using the handheld mixer, beat the flour mixture into the butter mixture, 1/3 at a time, alternating with half of the milk, and half of the lemon juice after the second addition of flour. Do NOT over mix. You want to beat the mixture just enough to make sure the flour is incorporated.
4. Fill the liners 3/4 full and bake until done in the center, roughly 17 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove the cupcakes and let them cool fully on a cooling rack. Top with the frosting.
How to make the frosting:
1. Pour the heavy cream into a large bowl, and beat with a handheld mixer on Low until it begins to thicken a bit.
2. Beat in the confectioner's sugar and lemon juice, a little at a time, until completely incorporated. Turn the mixer to High, and beat until the frosting forms soft to medium-soft peaks. Pipe onto the cupcakes and top with a lemon slice.