Independence Day will be here before you know it, along with cookouts, fireworks, and tables of desserts. This pie isn't only easy to make and delicious, it'll be the talk of your 4th of July celebration!
What you need for the crust:
2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, very cold, cut into chunks
1/2 cup very cold buttermilk
What you need for the filling:
5 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
2 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup corn starch
1 teaspoon vanilla extract, divided
What you need for the topping:
1 large egg, beaten
1/4 cup granulated sugar
How to Make the Crust:
1. In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, and salt.
2. Add in the butter, using your fingers to work the flour and butter together until the mix is crumbly. Make sure to leave pieces of the butter in tact.
3. Pour in the buttermilk, and mix with a spoon or fork until you have a ball of dough.
4. Dump your dough out onto a floured surface, divide it into 2 equal-sized lumps, and pat them into a disk shape.
5. Wrap each dough disk in plastic wrap, and put them in the refrigerator to chill for 1 hour, while you make the filling. Chilling the crust will help the butter to firm up, making it flaky as it bakes.
How to make the filling:
1. In a small bowl, combine the sugar and corn starch.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, toss the blueberries with 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract and 1/4 cup of the cornstarch mixture.
3. In a separate medium-sized bowl, toss the strawberries with 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract and the rest of the cornstarch mixture.
4. Take a large piece of aluminum foil and fold it in half, then in half again, until you have a long, 2-inch wide strip. Fold the ends of the strip slightly until it will fit inside the pie dish. Set this piece of foil aside.
Put it together:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Roll out a disc of pie dough onto a floured surface until it is roughly 12 inches in diameter. Place this in your pie dish.
3. Place the aluminum foil strip into the pie pan, dividing the crust into a 1/3 and 2/3 sections.
4. Hold the foil with one hand, and pour the blueberries into the smaller section. Pour the strawberries into the bigger section. Using your fingers, gently smooth the berries until they are level, then very carefully remove the foil.
5. Roll the other dough disc out until it is 12 inches in diameter. Using a 2-inch star cookie cutter, cut out a handful of star shapes and place them on the blueberry portion.
6. Using a sharp knife, cut the remaining dough into wavy stripes, and place them over the strawberry section. Trim the ends of the stripes so they are flush with the edge of the pie plate.
7. Fold the edge of the bottom crust over toward the center of the pie, and press with a fork.
8. Brush all of the crust with the beaten egg, and sprinkle with the sugar.
9. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes, keeping careful check to make sure the crust isn't burning.
10. Remove the foil and bake for 15 minutes more, until the filling is bubbling and the crust is golden brown.
11. Let cool before serving.