Cookies may be the last thing on your mind when thinking of a low-carb dessert, but these sugar-free, low carb coconut macaroons let you have a taste of sweetness while still sticking to your diet. This is such an easy, low-carb dessert recipe, you can whip them up whenever a dessert craving strikes and have them on your plate in less than 20 minutes!
Just a few notes here: you MUST make sure that your bowl and beaters are 100% dry and free from any speck or drop of oil. Just the tiniest amount of water or oil will cause your egg whites to fall flat.
Also, you may want to add a pinch of cream of tartar to your beaten egg whites to help them keep their form. I did not use any, but humidity can play a part in how well they hold up. If your egg whites collapse, the cream of tartar will help.
For a variation, try melting a handful of low carb chocolate chips with a little coconut oil in a double boiler and using it as a drizzle.
Now. On to the recipe.
This recipe makes 20 cookies, with a net carb count of 1.9 grams, depending on the brand of sweetener you use.
What you need:
4 large egg whites
1 1/2 tablespoons granulated low-carb sweetener ( I used Truvia)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 to 2 1/2 cups unsweetened shredded/desiccated coconut
How to make it:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites and the sweetener together until stiff.
3. Add the vanilla and 2 cups of the coconut, and gently stir. Excessive stirring will cause the egg whites to collapse, so be gentle here.
4. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and scoop out a tablespoon of the coconut mixture. Form it into a ball and place it on the baking sheet. if the mixture won't hold a semi-ball shape, you may need to mix in a little more coconut. You want the mixture to just hold its shape long enough to bake.
5. Bake for 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Keep a close eye on these, as they can burn pretty quickly.
These keep pretty well in the refrigerator if kept in a covered container. They can also be frozen for up to 1 month.
10/6/2019 01:06:05 pm
In my EMAIL it advertised the Macaroon Cookies as Weight Watchers, what are the FreeStyle Smart Points ?
10/30/2019 05:16:45 pm
Mine tasted like cardboard so sad
11/14/2019 06:46:47 pm
I made 3-4 different batches and it just isn't right.
Leave a Reply.
This Southern Girl Can is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.