Savory Vegetable Pie
This savory vegetable pie is unlike anything I have ever tried. It is light and airy, making it a perfect summertime lunch dish. The center is colorful vegetables surrounded by a custard-like egg filling, sitting atop a layer of mozzarella cheese and Dijon mustard. It may sound strange, but the end result is delicious!
What you need:
1 pie crust
3/4 cup Half-and-Half
3 large eggs
1/2 cup Dijon mustard
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 large zucchini
1 large yellow squash
2 large carrots
1/4 cup dried parsley
salt and pepper to taste
How to make it:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Roll out the pie crust, and place it into a pie dish. Trim the edges so they are flush with the edges of the dish.
3. Using a pastry brush, gently spread the mustard over the bottom of the crust.
4. Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the mustard.
5. Using a mandoline slicer or other wide hand-held slicer/peeler, slice the vegetables into long, thin slices, starting with the eggplant. Before slicing the other vegetables, we first need to 'sweat' the eggplant so it won't make the crust soggy.
6. Lay the eggplant slices on a baking sheet and sprinkle lightly with salt on both sides. Let these sit while you're slicing the other vegetables. The salt will help draw excess moisture out of the eggplant.
7. After the other vegetables have been sliced, rinse the eggplant slices with warm water and gently pat dry on paper towels.
8. Gently roll the vegetable slices up, and stand them on their end in the pie dish. If the carrots are too stiff to roll, place them in a bowl and pour boiling water over them. Let them sit for a few minutes to soften.
9. Mix the eggs and half-and-half together and pour over the vegetables. Sprinkle with the parsley.
10. Bake for 35 minutes, or until the center is set.
11. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes to allow the filling to congeal.
This Southern Girl Can is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.