There are so many southern comfort food recipes out there, but I believe this is one of my all-time favorites. Stuffed tomatoes make the perfect side dish to almost anything, so you could have them every single day if you wanted.
I consider this to be the best stuffed tomato recipe out there, even though it is simple. Sometimes, simple really is best. You can use store-bought tomatoes for this classic southern recipe, but I highly suggest using those that are home-grown, or come from a farmer's market for unbelievable flavor.
You can bake these tomatoes on a standard baking sheet or cookie pan like I did if your tomatoes are slightly flat on one side. If you are using really round ones, you can nestle them in the cups of a muffin pan to help keep the upright. A good-quality muffin pan can serve many purposes other than baking muffins if you use your imagination.
Alrighty. Let's get to the recipe.
What You Need:
4 large tomatoes
6 ounces crumbled feta cheese
1/2 cup fine, dry breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons green onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
How To Make It:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cut the tomatoes in half horizontally, and scoop out the pulp. Set the shells aside.
3. Remove the seeds from the firm portion of the pulp, and discard. Roughly chop the pulp, and place in a medium-sized bowl.
4. Stir in the the remaining ingredients.
5. Fill the tomato shells with equal amounts of the cheese mixture, and bake for 15 minutes.
This Southern Girl Can is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.