Coleslaw is a staple in any Southern cookout. This slaw is, in my opinion, the best out there. Although it is absolutely delicious if you eat it the day you make it, it is OUT OF THIS WORLD if you let it sit overnight.
Pile it up on hamburgers, hot dogs, eat it as a side..... once you try this recipe, you won't use any other one.
What you need:
1/2 head of green cabbage
1 carrot, peeled
3 rounded tablespoons chopped onion
1/2 cup mayonnaise (I'm a Southern girl, so I only use Duke's)
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 1/2 tablespoons full-fat buttermilk (this is important!)
1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
3 tablespoons white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
How to make it:
1. Grate the cabbage and carrots, and mix together in a large bowl.
2. Add in the chopped onion, and mix well.
3. In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, lemon juice, buttermilk, white vinegar, and sugar until thoroughly combined and creamy.
4. Pour the mayonnaise mixture over the cabbage, and stir well.
5. Stir in salt and pepper, adding more if you like.
6. Cover and refrigerate for a couple hours so the flavors can meld.
This Southern Girl Can is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.