This Southern Girl Can is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
I love potato salad, but can't stand the over-powering taste of sweet relish and mustard found in most recipes. This one has the perfect balance of mayo and mustard, and is soooo creamy.
Now, I know most people use good ole russet potatoes for their potato salad, but I think they are a bit too mealy and soft. Yukon Gold are the best in my opinion, and can withstand being tossed in the dressing better.
Also, you may notice a strange ingredient here: Worcestershire sauce. I know it sounds weird, but believe me, it makes all the difference!
What you need:
2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes
1/3 of a white onion
1 cup of mayonnaise (I LOVE Dukes)
1/4 cup dill relish
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
2 dashes of Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon white sugar
1/4 teaspoon seasoning salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
a few dashes of paprika to garnish the top
How to make it:
1. Wash and peel the potatoes. Dice them into small, bite-sized cubes.
2. Boil the potatoes in a pot on a stove top for roughly 8 minutes, or until the are tender. Keep a close eye on them. You want them to be tender, but not so soft they will get smashed when you toss them around later.
3. While the potatoes are cooking, boil the eggs until hard boiled.
4. Drain the potatoes and place them in a large bowl.
5. When the eggs are cooked and have been cooled, peel them. Place the cooked egg whites in a small bowl, and the yolks in a separate bowl.
6. Dice the egg whites into small chunks, and smash the yolks until they are creamy.
7. Place the potatoes, egg whites, and yolks in the refrigerator until they are nice and cold.
8. In a medium-sized bowl, mix the egg whites, yolks, onion, mayonnaise, and relish.
9. Gently stir in the mustard, seasoning salt, pepper, celery seed, Worcestershire sauce, and sugar.
10. Add everything together in a large bowl, and gently stir together.
11. Adjust the salt and pepper according to your taste.