This pasta dish is my latest obsession. I love roasted red peppers, and this recipe features a creamy red pepper sauce that is super simple to make. It takes roughly 30 minutes to make, so it is perfect for a busy weeknight.
What you need:
1 pound of pasta
2 sweet Italian sausage links, with the casings removed
1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
5 ounces baby bella mushrooms, sliced
one 16-ounce jar of roasted red peppers, drained
1 cup heavy cream
10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste
How to make it:
1. In a large pot, boil some salted water and cook the pasta according to the directions on the package.
2. While the pasta is cooking, make your sauce.
3. Cook the sausages and onion in a large skillet over medium heat, breaking the meat up with a spatula as it cooks.
4. When the onions are tender, add in the garlic and mushrooms. Cook for roughly 3 minutes.
5. In a blender or food processor, blend the heavy cream and drained red peppers for about 20 seconds.
6. Pour the red pepper mixture into the skillet with the meat, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 5 minutes.
7. When the pasta is cooked, drain it well, and return it to the pot. Pour in the sauce, and add the basil leaves and Parmesan. Stir well. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Serve immediately, with extra Parmesan if you like.