I have a rather large collection of unique coffee mugs, so I thought I would whip up a unique coaster to go along with them. These cute coasters are designed to look like miniature wooden pallets and are made with VERY inexpensive materials. They can be decorated with washi tape to match any decor or mood. I had a lot of fun making these, and I'm sure you will as well.
While you're in the mood to be crafty, why don't you make a cool painted mug like the one I made in the above photo? You can find my tutorial on how to do it HERE.
What you need:
12 popsicle sticks for each coaster
a hot glue gun, wood glue, or any other adhesive (hot glue sets up fast)
washi tape (optional)
a silver paint pen or bit of silver paint (optional)
How to make it:
1. Cut the rounded ends off of one of the sticks.
2. Using the stick you just cut as a template, mark the other sticks to make them roughly the same size as the first one, the cut off the rounded edges. Real wooden pallets aren't perfect, so these don't have to be either.
3. Glue 3 sticks onto 2 bottom ones to form the foundation of your pallet. Make sure whatever glue you use is dry before moving on to the next step.
4. If you want to use washi tape to decorate your pallet, now is the time. Simply apply a strip of tape to the remaining sticks, and cut off any excess with scissors.
5. Now we are going to start forming the top of the pallet. To help keep everything evenly spaced, glue one stick down in the center, then one on each side.
6. Keep gluing down the rest of the sticks until you've used them all up. Isn't this cute??
7. If you want to make this look like an actual pallet, you can use a bit of silver paint to make dots where nails would be.
Make a handful of these, make a cool mug like I linked to at the top of this post, package them together in a basket with some tea bags or coffee, and give it to someone to make them smile.