Blueberry Breakfast Cake
One of my most favorite combinations to bake with is blueberries and lemons. They go together like peanut butter and chocolate, peanut butter and jelly, cheesecake and wine..... Ok....maybe the cheesecake and wine thing is just me. What I'm trying to say is, blueberries and lemons go together so well, and can be used in many various dishes. Today, I combined them in this absolutely delicious blueberry breakfast cake.
Now, this cake is not like typical cake in the fact that it is not sticky sweet. There is just a hint of sweetness, but it is not overpowering. In fact, a stack of pancakes with maple syrup is sweeter than this. I enjoyed mine this morning with a cup of hot English breakfast tea, and it was quite satisfactory.
What you need:
½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 teaspoons lemon zest
3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon sugar for sprinkling
1 large egg, room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups flour (reserve ¼ cup of this to toss with the blueberries)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups fresh blueberries
½ cup buttermilk
How to make it:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream the butter with the lemon zest and sugar until fluffy.
2. Add in the egg and vanilla, then beat until combined.
3. Toss the blueberries with 1/4 cup of flour, and set aside.
4. Whisk together the remaining flour, baking powder, and salt.
5. Mix the flour into the butter mixture, a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk.
6. Gently fold in the blueberries.
7. Grease a 9x9 baking dish with butter, and pour in the batter. Spread it evenly, and bake for roughly 35 minutes. Check for doneness using a toothpick or cake tester. If the center is not done, return it to the oven for another 5 minutes, the recheck.
8. Let cool for roughly 15 minutes, then cut and serve.
This Southern Girl Can is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.