Cleaning a toilet isn't exactly a popular topic, but it's something we all have to do, so why not make it as fast, safe, and simple as possible? Commercially-produced toilet cleansers contain numerous chemicals that could seriously hurt children and animals if they are ingested, so why not make up a batch of these toilet bombs using natural, safe ingredients? Even though they contain all-natural ingredients, these fizzies should still be stored out of the reach of children and pets.
Before we get started, let's go over what each ingredient does:
Alrighty. Let's whip some of these up!
What you need:
1 1/3 cup baking soda
1/2 cup citric acid (this is found in supermarkets or chain stores in the canning section, near the mason jars and pickling salt)
1 teaspoon water
30 drops peppermint essential oil
30 drops lemon essential oil
30 drops lavender essential oil
a small spray bottle
a mold to put the mixture in. (I used a standard ice cube tray.)
Put it together:
1. Mix the baking soda and citric acid together in a medium-sized bowl.
2. Slowly add in the essential oils, one drop at a time. Stir thoroughly.
3. Put the water into the spray bottle. You may need a little more than a teaspoon, but start with that just to make sure you don't use too much. Spray the mixture once or twice, then mix thoroughly.
4. Keep spraying the water onto the mixture, one to two sprays at a time, until the water has all been used up.
5. Use your hands to make sure the mixture is lump free. The key here is to make sure the mixture is just damp enough to hold its shape. If it is too wet, it will start to fizz and turn into a sticky mess. If it is too dry, it will crumble. Test your mixture by picking up a handful and giving it a hard squeeze. Most of it should remain in a large clump. If it crumbles apart just laying in your hand, it needs a few more sprays of water.
6. Pack the mixture tightly into each cavity of the mold you choose to use. Let them dry overnight, then gently remove them from the mold. Store in an airtight glass container.
How to use it:
Simply drop a fizzy into the toilet, let it finish fizzing, then give it a quick scrub with a toilet brush. That's it!