This Southern Girl Can is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
This is one of my all-time favorite recipes. I'm so excited to be able to share it with my readers! These are perfect to make on a cool fall day, and are delicious alongside a big glass of ice-cold milk or steaming apple cider. Although they look impressive, they are actually simple to make!
Note: In order for these to firm up into 'cookie' form, you MUST let them cool completely before handling them.
What you need:
2 pie crusts (either store bought or homemade)
1/3 cup of caramel sauce (I used the new Salted Caramel sauce from Smuckers)
1 1/2 cups of apple pie filling (homemade, or 1 can of the store-bought kind)
1 large egg
3 tablespoons of sugar
a bit of flour for dusting your work surface
How to make it:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Sprinkle a bit of flour on your work surface so the dough won't stick. If using a pre-made dough, roll it out just a tiny bit. You don't want the dough to be too thin. If using a homemade dough, roll it out into a circle about 1/8 inch thick.
3. Pour the caramel sauce onto the dough, and spread it out evenly with a spoon.
4. Place the apple pie filling on a plate, and chop it up with a knife so the pieces are small.
5. Spread the apple mixture over the dough.
6. Sprinkle more flour onto a clean surface, and roll out the other part of your dough. Cut this part into strips about 1/2 inch wide.
7. Layer these strips over the apple mixture in a lattice-type pattern.
8. Using a round cookie cutter (or the open end of a drinking glass), cut out the cookies.
9. Transfer these cookies (very carefully) to a lightly greased cookie sheet.
10. Beat the egg in a small bowl, and gently brush it over the cookies with a pastry brush.
11. Sprinkle the tops of the cookies with sugar.
12. Bake for 20 -25 minutes, until they are golden brown.
***Bake the scraps too so you don't waste food!***