It doesn't take a lot of time or effort to throw together an Easter treat that is not only delicious, but pretty to look at as well. These cute Rice Krispy bird nests can be put together from start to finish in about 15 minutes, and are so easy even the kids can pitch in.
Yields: 16 nests
6 cups of Rice Krispies, or any other type of puffed rice cereal
3 Tbsp butter
a 10-ounce bag of mini marshmallows
1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
malted milk robin's egg candies, or any other type of egg-shaped candy
green food coloring
1. Melt butter in a medium-sized pot over low heat.
2. Add in entire bag of marshmallows, stirring constantly until melted.
3. Remove from heat and stir in Rice Krispies until thoroughly combined with the marshmallow mixture.
4. Press a handful of the cereal mixture into each well of a standard-sized muffin pan, making sure to leave an indentation of the middle to hold the coconut and candy eggs. Place these in the refrigerator to let them harden up a bit while you're coloring the coconut.
5. Add the coconut to a medium-sized bowl, and add a few drops of food coloring. Stir thoroughly until all of the coconut is green.
6. Remove the nests from the muffin pan, and place a bit of the coconut in the indentation of each nest. Top with a few candy eggs.
This Southern Girl Can is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.