These egg puffs are one of my very favorite low carb dishes. They are so simple to make, and look really pretty when stacked on a serving platter. You can even add a few pinches of various herbs and spices to switch up the flavor a bit.
Carb count: I count these as 1 carb each. There is such a negligible amount in the Parmesan cheese it can be difficult to determine, but since there is a small amount, I count these as 1 just to be safe.
What you need:
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste
How to make it:
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. First, we need to beat the egg whites to make a fluffy meringue-type substance, so, separate the eggs and place the whites in a large mixing bowl, and the yolks in a separate bowl. Be gentle with the yolks. You don't want to break them!
3. Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until they are fluffy and stiff peaks form. This usually takes me around 5 minutes. You want these whites to be THICK!
4. GENTLY fold in the Parmesan.
5. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. I do not recommend using cooking spray with these. I just haven't had good results with it.
6. Form 4 blobs of the egg white meringue on the baking sheet. Form them a little with your fingers if you need to, and make an indent in the middle of each one. The indent should be big enough to hold an egg yolk.
7. Bake for 3 minutes.
8. Remove the baking pan from the oven, and gently place an egg yolk in each indent.
9. Return the pan to the oven, and bake for 3 minutes more.
10. Gently remove the puffs with a spatula, and season with salt and pepper. You may add a pat of butter on top if you like.